In the United States of America, there are over 1.3 million nonprofit organizations, and they are known for the good that they do in the world and the positive impact that they have on the lives of others, the environment, the economy, and the strength they bring to our communities. Nonprofits work to educate, feed, shelter, heal, inspire, nurture, and enlighten people throughout the world. They are also, legally, under certain obligations and abide by specific laws and tax codes.
The Impact of Nonprofits in Communities
The impact that nonprofits can have on their communities is invaluable. We've found this to be as true at SHP as it is for other nonprofits that serve their communities. Soup kitchens that feed the hungry of their communities. Homeless shelters that offer safety, warmth, and food for the homeless in their communities. Nonprofits that provide after-school programs for the youth of their communities. Nonprofits that provide equine therapy for young adults that are struggling to process and heal from the trauma they've endured. And nonprofits like SHP, who provide beds for kids who are sleeping on floors and have never had a bed of their own. All nonprofits have lasting impacts on those they serve in their communities.
People knowing and caring for the people around them is powerful. We love this quote from Thrive Global that says, "When you volunteer your time and efforts, you start a string of positive events that happen from the time you decide to help out, until long after you’ve done your part. Volunteerism not only helps so many people, organizations, and your community as a whole, but it also brings a significant amount of joy and happiness to ourselves and the people we are helping."
How to Choose Which Nonprofit to Donate to or Volunteer For
Are you looking for ways to donate hours or financially this year? Do you have new goals for contributing to families in your community?
Writing a check to a charity can feel good, and it is a way to do good in your community. However, charities benefit from donations of money and time, and if you have been wondering if you can do more in your community, now is the time to broaden your ideas about "giving back."
Giving time can be incredibly helpful for a charity. Sometimes in the nonprofit world, monetary donations come with requests or parameters around them. Donations of time, on the other hand, offer organizations more flexibility and can make a tremendous difference.
Of course, financial contributions are always welcome since they keep the lights on at any nonprofit. But here are a few things to think about as far as donating time to your nonprofit of choice.
Whether you are looking to give back as an individual or a group (church, family, school), there are nonprofit groups that need your help. From local to national groups, there is an organization that supports a cause you believe in - and you can make a big difference by reaching out to them.
There are so many nonprofits throughout the U.S., as we stated before. So the question is, how do you choose which one to donate to? Here are some great questions to guide you in your decision:
- What causes interest you or are you passionate about?
- Do you want to support an organization that is serving a specific type of cause? Such as human rights, human empowerment, the environment, child welfare (SHP is included in this category), etc?
- Do you want to focus your donations locally, nationally, or internationally? (We do all three!)
- Do you prefer to give monetary donations or physical item donations?
- Are you open to giving to something you aren't necessarily passionate about but you know it's a huge need?
No matter what you decide, you're making a huge difference in the world! It's because of generous donors like you that nonprofit organizations are able to continue their work throughout the world.
Nonprofit Organizations Helping Children
Our nation's children are our most vulnerable population, and our most valuable asset, so helping those in need is an important job.
Supporting These Nonprofits Affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic
The current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic has affected every person, every industry, and every organization in myriad ways. For nonprofit organizations, stay-at-home orders, concerns over the virus's spread, and economic fears all add up to a new world of uncertainty.
How SHP is Helping
Sleep in Heavenly Peace is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that partners with the community to build bunk beds for kids from raw materials complete with mattresses, pillows, and bedding. In 2019, SHP’s bunk bed program gave a permanent home to over 30,000 of our beds for children sleeping on the floor.
We have different aspects to how we help our communities, including:
- Our Disaster Relief Fund: The Disaster Relief Fund provides a new way to help those in need who’ve been impacted by a recent disaster. All donated funds received through the program are used to benefit children who have lost their beds and even their homes in tragedies across the globe. Funds go to local SHP chapters or agency partners for the construction and distribution of bunk beds to disaster victims.
- Donations or Volunteer Opportunities with Local Chapters: Sleep in Heavenly Peace is 100% volunteer-driven and donation-driven. The donations we get from individuals, service groups, or corporations determine how many beds we can produce and deliver.
- SHP Gear: Buying SHP Gear helps show your support for our cause and shows you care when you wear it with pride. You can buy a variety of gear and proceeds help fun beds for kids sleeping on the floor.
At SHP, we fully believe that a bed is a basic need for the proper physical, emotional, and mental support that a child needs. When it was brought to our attention that the need for beds went far beyond our own neighborhoods, we stepped up and took initiative. We're a national organization answering the call to a national problem.
Our mission is to ensure that no kid sleeps on the floor in our town. As you can imagine this is a huge task and we can’t do it on our own.